Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Rest

Matthew 11:28 - "Come to me, and I will give you rest."
A somewhat elusive statement by Jesus. Not elusive because it's indirect or vague...but because it's difficult.

How do I come to Jesus?
What does he think of me?
I haven't been doing well as of late...
What if he turns me away?
Why would he waste time on me?
Things are such a mess, how did they get this bad?
There's no hope for me, I'm too far away from God.

I've thought about these things. I know I'm not the only one. See, all of these statements are "Self-awareness" statements. It's us, looking at ourselves being aware of our current state. Let's face it, we're sinners. In other words, we're not "perfect." We're not "good" most of the time, and even if we are we aren't good enough. With statements like this we are caught up in our own self-awareness so much that we live inside a box that we have designed for ourselves...and unfortunately we've crafted a God that lives outside that box, and would not bother with us "even if he did care."
That's why it's so hard. Jesus very plainly says "Come to me." He doesn't tell you to evaluate yourself first. That will come later, as the Holy Spirit does a work in your life. The simple command is to take a few steps toward Him. To trust Him enough to lift up your cares and worries to an "unseen" savior, a righteous Lord.

More often than not, I have serious trouble coming to Jesus. It's because of self-awareness that this happens. It's not because I can't accept his Grace (even though I'm terrible at this), and it's not because I'm not qualified to be with Jesus, because he gave me the option to accept qualification by His blood when he died on the cross. I struggle because I think about how "well" I've done lately in God's eyes. I take what I know of God's character, and match it up against my character...then I do something so silly as to compare those 2 things and decide based on that the level in which Jesus will accept me today.

The truth of the matter is that Jesus wants you and me to Come to Him. We're supposed to come to him all the time. There is a rest that lies with leaning on Jesus that is not like sleep or relaxation. It's like the feeling that you are alone slowly leaving. You're sharing your worries, cares, and anxiety with the God of the Universe. I'm pretty sure He can handle it. Jesus wants us with Him, because He wants to be reflected in us. He knows that His power is enough. And that's the thing isn't it? Do you know that the love of Christ is powerful enough to love through anything you are, no matter how ugly, miserable, or rebellious?
Let me just say it in plain truth.
The Love of Christ is powerful enough to love through anything you are, no matter how ugly, miserable, or rebellious. If you're questioning whether you "should" come to Jesus or not because of a struggle with worth...there's no argument. Come to Jesus, and He will give you rest.