Friday, August 17, 2007

Does He Know Me?

John 10:3 says "He calls us each by name, and we like sheep follow him...because we know his voice." This verse goes on to say that we do not follow him as a stranger.

Sometimes I wonder whether I know God. I've been trying to "get life right" for about 8 years now, and I feel lost more than I thought I would at 28. The sheep analogy doesn't really make much sense at the moment...I'm not sure that I would recognize His voice. God does know me however, He knows me all too well. He knows how he built me, and how I'm designed to work.

It's funny how people will talk about God a bunch, but sometimes won't say the name of "Jesus." It must be reserved for those "Jesus Freaks" out there. You have to be certified in crazy to go around talking about Jesus. You really can't separate God from Jesus though. At least, not if you are looking at the God of the Bible; the God of Israel; the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob.

God knows me. He knows you. Sometimes it makes me sick to my stomach that God knows me, because I wonder how he could accept me, or love me, or call me by name when I've screwed up and stabbed Him in the heart so many times...on purpose. I think about Jesus, and how he died; I'm the cause of a bunch of the pain he went through. One of those lashes on his back was to purchase my life. Some of the blood that was spilled was to cover my sins; to shield my iniquity from the sight of our Father. Jesus did that. God is righteous. He is Holy. Nothing can be around him that isn't Holy. We aren't Holy. Something or someone needed to make us Holy in the eyes of God. Jesus did that. He's the only one that could have done that.

He knows me. If He didn't know me He wouldn't have sent Jesus. He did send Jesus. Jesus willingly came out of heaven to live on earth. Not just to live on earth, to die for our sins. The trick is that it's a gift. Lots of things in me rise up against accepting this kind of thing for free. But there is nothing I can do. There's nothing I can do to deserve what Jesus did for me. There's nothing I can do to get to heaven on my own. I can't be a good enough person to be with God. I can only accept the gift of life that was given to me by God Himself, through Jesus Christ: Son of God, Son of Man.

He knows me and he calls out to me by name. Ever reaching for me, offering everlasting life. Not some day, but today and every day.