Saturday, August 08, 2009

Right of Passage

Genesis 27 describes some family dysfunction that I'm not going to pretend I understand. I don't. The basic scenario is that Esau (an older brother) has his blessing robbed by his younger brother Jacob. Jacob doesn't really want to do it but Rebekah, his mother, has other ideas and talks him into tricking his father Isaac into blessing him. Esau pleads to Isaac to be considered for a blessing but Isaac simply responds, "I have made your brother lord over you, what more can I do?" At this point, Esau is filled with rage and wants to kill his brother Jacob for stealing his birthright. Honestly, I'd feel the same way.

That's what happens. Now Jacob, again because his mother wants it this way, gets sent to his grandfather's house to find a wife in Paddan Aram. He's supposed to talk to his uncle about a wife. Picture your dad saying, "Son, go see your uncle in Philly about a wife." I live in Pennsylvania...what can I say?

To not get caught up in extreme details or dream interpretation, Jacob has a dream in which God speaks to him. Basically, God says that He's going to bless Jacob and Jacob responds with "Awesome! If you make sure I return safely from my trip, you will be my God and I'll give you a tenth of what you give me!" It kind of sounds like, "Let's make a deal!"

Fast forward, Jacob makes it to Paddan Aram. He meets some guys that are from Haran, asks about Laban, and sees Rachel. He goes over to help out with watering the sheep. Basically, the bible says that he just kisses Rachel and starts to weep aloud. I guess this was the way to a girl's heart back then... (Seriously, it's probably something cultural here that I'm missing. Probably what you do when you want to marry someone - but that's just a guess.) Laban hears about Jacob being here, comes running and greets him (with a kiss again). Jacob tells Laban why he is there, and Laban confirms that's a good deal.

From the Bible's text, it seems like Jacob stayed for 1 month and worked for Laban without pay. Laban questions this and asks Jacob to name his wages. Jacob says that he'll work for 7 years if Laban gives him Rachel in marriage (whoa buddy - 7 years!?). So, 7 years go by and Jacob gets right to the point and says..."Laban, my time is complete...give me my wife so that I can lie with her." Straight to the point lad!

Now Laban does something that I just can't get over as many times as I go over it in my head. They have a feast celebrating this and he switches his daughter's on Jacob. Jacob has sex with Leah, instead of Rachel...I would guess without knowing it because he wakes up and asks Laban what the deal is. I can't blame him...that's just unbelievable. Laban tells Jacob that he's going to have to work another 7 years to get Rachel. Jacob agrees, which I think is pretty amazing. So Jacob now has 2 wives, and he loves one more than the other. (The bible says so.)

A few notes before we fast forward. Following the time when Jacob marries Rachel, a lot of posturing happens between Jacob and Laban - also between Rachel and Leah. Reuben, Simeon, Levi, Judah - (sound familiar?) - Dan, Naphtali, Gad, Asher, Isaacar, Zebulun, and Dinah. After 11 kids, Joseph finally is born. Remember, that's 10 sons + a daughter...then Joseph...then later Benjamin (way later). At this point, only Joseph is actually from Rachel, because she's been barren all this time. Leah's battle for Jacob's affection and Rachel's responds makes all this possible. Whew.
Oh yeah, and I should mention that Jacob basically decides to take almost nothing from Laban even though Laban has been blessed by Jacob's presence when he wants to go. Somehow, God turns this decision into Jacob becoming the owner of Laban's entire flock. (The bible tells you how that happens).

All this happens, and God says to Jacob, go back to your home land. (Paraphrased)
He does (with all of his house, which is lots of people now). He sends lots of his possessions across the Jordan to appease Esau before he goes back in the hopes that Esau won't kill him. He prays that God would deliver him from Esau, and recognizes that God has made a great house out of him. Only Jacob, his wives, and the 11 sons stay with him.

That's a lot of history for what I'm trying to get at. If I don't tell you that though, the heart of the matter has no foundation.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Genesis 32: 22-29
"That night Jacob got up and took his two wives, his two maidservants and his eleven sons and crossed the ford of the Jabbok. 23 After he had sent them across the stream, he sent over all his possessions. 24 So Jacob was left alone, and a man wrestled with him till daybreak. 25 When the man saw that he could not overpower him, he touched the socket of Jacob's hip so that his hip was wrenched as he wrestled with the man. 26 Then the man said, "Let me go, for it is daybreak."
But Jacob replied, "I will not let you go unless you bless me."

27 The man asked him, "What is your name?"
"Jacob," he answered.

28 Then the man said, "Your name will no longer be Jacob, but Israel, e]" style=" line-height: 0.5em; ">[e] because you have struggled with God and with men and have overcome."

29 Jacob said, "Please tell me your name."
But he replied, "Why do you ask my name?" Then he blessed him there.

30 So Jacob called the place Peniel, f]" style=" line-height: 0.5em; ">[f] saying, "It is because I saw God face to face, and yet my life was spared."

31 The sun rose above him as he passed Peniel, g]" style=" line-height: 0.5em; ">[g] and he was limping because of his hip. 32 Therefore to this day the Israelites do not eat the tendon attached to the socket of the hip, because the socket of Jacob's hip was touched near the tendon."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jacob has lots of possessions. Why is a man wrestling with Jacob? The subtitle in the bible says "Jacob wrestles with God" so we know the man is supposed to resemble God. Yet, the bible says that a man wrestles with Jacob until daybreak. What is going on here?

Jacob is faced here, with confronting his fear. Esau is one representation of who Jacob is. The very identity of Jacob is defined by being a trickster. He stole the birthright, he stole Laban's flock (even if it was with God's blessing), he's basically swindled everyone out of everything he's gained. He has wives that trick each other and compete just like he did with his brother (which his mother helped with). Everything in his life points to strife and deceit.

Jacob (the trickster) collides with God. Jacob has been hearing from God over the years, but has been living out of an unhealthy fear. Jacob doesn't fear God at this point, he fears himself. He is afraid of what / who he is, and what that might mean for his future. There's no way he's crossing the Jordan without God - almost as importantly...without God's blessing.

There is a turn in Jacob's grappling from wrestling, to clinging. It happens when the "God-man" puts Jacob's hip out of joint with a simple touch. Kind of a foreshadowing to Peter sinking and crying out, "Lord, save me!"

Simply put, God desires for our lives are to be shaped around a clinging to Him, not a wrestling with Him - although he's got no problem wrestling you until you cling. I believe there are seasons when we wrestle with different issues or truths and the like, but generally speaking - we are to cling to God in desperate dependence and recognition of His sovereignty. The moment you transition from wrestling to clinging, defines your life. I believe this experience drives deep within us and shakes us apart for the glory of God. Most importantly though - it creates us anew. Jacob's very identity is changed by this experience.

God broke Jacob's hip to make him cling. What does God have to break in your life to make this happen? You are not better than Jacob, something needs to break in order to cling to God. Have you been broken, or are you yet to be broken? When you are, will you cling? Will you refuse to let go of God? Will you refuse to forsake His name as He is breaking your life apart in ways that He has every right to because He is sovereign? Will you grip him and demand that He bless you? Can you understand that God is breaking you so that He may be glorified and you may be lifted up in the end like Jacob was?

Personally, I run to video games and movies when God tries to break me. I'm no Jacob, but God keeps letting me wrestle with Him in hopes that one day, I won't let go...until He blesses me. This is the equivalent of not crossing the Jordan. I simply cling to the escape routes I've designed to avoid going head to head with God.
Do you believe Him for that?